Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pope Francis my thoughts


Its been a while since my last post, but the election of a new Pope has spurred me into writing.

Pope Francis's election came at an awkward time for me. The white smoke went up at around 6pm, I had Mass at 6.30. To make matters worse, I had confessions at 7pm in another church, but I did manage to see the key events. I have to admit that I am one of those whose immediate reaction was: who?!

I take the view that we need first and foremost to pray for our new Holy Father. Time will tell what he will be like, what he will say and do etc. I do get the impression that despite his evident holiness and simplicity he is a man to be reckoned with. He is orthodox ( not conservative as some would have it) and not afraid to speak his mind. I suspect also that he will not tolerate dissent in the church. I also think it is significant that his own order in effect banished him for not embracing Liberation Theology. I do wonder how the liberal Tablet reading Catholics will reconcile his very orthodox faith with his real and active concern for the poor.

Once again, my prayers are for Pope Francis, may God Bless him and St Peter intercede for him.

1 comment:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Amen. Let us pray for the new Pope.

God bless.