Sunday, November 11, 2012

May they rest in peace

Two of our more beautiful Catholic prayers are for the dead. " Eternal rest give unto then O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon them, may they rest in peace" and " May the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace."

On this Remembrance Sunday, we are reminded of the horrors of warfare. I think its true to say that many of those we call to mind today did not have a peaceful death. Many met a sudden and violent end, amidst the heat of battle. As I understand it heat of battle is a good euphemism for hell on earth. I'm sure many of them experienced the terror and fear associated with battle. 

As Catholics we believe that heaven is a place of "refreshment, light and peace". I think that the two prayers I quoted above are very apt for Remembrance Sunday. May all who were killed in war rest in peace. 

No comments: